Saturday, November 1, 2008

Miami, Florida...The Beginning

Now, I told you yesterday that I would let Mommy and Daddy use my blog to tell you all about their vacation (as long as I got to tell you about mine). So, I have now told you how much fun I had at Aunt Angie's house. Now, I will let Mommy and Daddy tell you all about their vacation. I told them to start from the beginning...

Once we dropped Cosmo off at Aunt Angie's house, Joel and I made our way to the MSP airport. Much to our surprise, there were plenty of parking spaces and very short security lines. Once we made it through security, we got a bite to eat at McDonald's (knowing we wouldn't be eating there for some time).

We boarded our flight to Miami (which was mostly full) and we took off on time (never happens). We arrived in Miami a few minutes ahead of schedule and our luggage was one of the first ones off (again, never happens).

We took a Taxi to our hotel (which was under construction. We checked into our huge room (it was a conference room and a bedroom. But, it overlooked the cruise terminal so we would be able to see our ship in port.

This was the view from our hotel room...





Once we settled in, we went down and asked the bellman where was the nearest place to eat. It was at this point that we should have realized we were not in downtown Miami (as previously advertised). He indicated at a place called "Bayside" was about 10 blocks away. So, Joel and I set out to walk the 10 blocks. Needless to say, it was somewhat creepy. There was no one around - and I mean no one. Again, there was no way we were in downtown Miami.

Once we arrived at Bayside, we went looking for a place to eat a late lunch/early dinner. Also, Joel recognized Bayside. He said that when he was in Miami a few years ago on business that his friend Nick had taken him there for dinner and drinks.

Anyways, we found a little place to eat and then decided there was no way we were going to walk the 10 blocks back to the hotel. We found a cab and headed back.

Later that evening, we decided to charge our iPods before getting on the ship tomorrow. It was then that Joel brought the wrong charger and that we needed to get another one. We opted to hop in a cab late that night and go back to bayside to find one.

Our cab driver did not have change - so Joel needed to get some. We gave him $5 before heading to get some change. But, something wierd happened - all of the cab drivers got in their cars and spead off - including ours. And, at the same time, I wathced someone get mugged and the ";robber" take off running with someone's belongings. Needless to say - I wanted to get out of their was quickly as possible.

We made it back to the hotel and called it a night. When we woke up the next morning - there were three ships in port.







Our ship was in the middle of the pack (we eventually learned). Anyways, we packed up our stuff and took one last picture before checking out and heading to the boat.



We waited forever for the elevators and once we arrived in the lobby we realized why. There were a ton of people checking out and heading to cruise ships as well. Clearly, we had picked a popular hotel. But, Joel and I agree, one we would not come back to.

We checked out and caught a cab to the Port of Miami to start our long-awaited vacation...

No comments: