We were not in France very long as you will be able to tell from this post. At least this day, we did not have to get up at the crack of dawn. However, we did spend a full day traveling to our next destination. And we had to take 4 different trains to get there.
Before I share all the images, I'd like to talk about the train stations in general. Clean and the signage is easy to read for the most part. However, zero of the stations we were at were accessible. I couldn't quite figure how how someone in a wheelchair or a cane, could ride some of the trains. First, there were a couple of elevators and escalators, but not at each station. Second, some platforms were two to three flights of stairs up from ground level with no other way to access the platform than to walk up the stairs. And finally, getting onto the train. Not one train had a "ramp," instead you had to climb two or three stairs to get onto the train. Once on the train, you had to make your way through a narrow aisle (along with your luggage which sometimes proved to be a challenging fit). This would not be the only time we'd notice the lack of accessibility in the places we visited.
Ok, now onto the train trip itself. This is a summary of the day's events. But, there's more to see and learn.
We left France for Italy, the last destination of our trip. This is the place I was looking forward to going to the most. When Rachel asked me to join her on the tail end of her trip, she asked me where was one place I wanted to go and I said Italy. I then chose Florence because it is the capital city of the Tuscan region of Italy. Tuscany equals wine. And since I'm with the wine snob (her words), I thought we'd get the best of both words. Me, crossing off a bucket list destination and Rachel, wine.
We made our way up the coast of France. Our first stop would be Nice, we'd we change trains for the first time.
We saw the French countryside, Rhone Valley, and the coast. It was breathtaking and exactly what I thought it would be. We saw grapevines and old buildings (very old buildings) that today serve as people's homes. We also saw spectacular views of the French Riviera and the Mediterranean Sea.
Our first stop was Nice. We had 20 minutes to get to our next train and it was quite the hike (and a few floors difference). This was also the only train where we had general seating and that meant no dedicated luggage racks. That proved to be a problem given our luggage was too big to slide behind a seat, so Rachel had to sit with all our luggage. Also, we observed this group of ladies (and there were 6 more in their group sitting behind me) and said, this will be Rachel, Nella, Linda, and me in 20 years! They were having so much fun on their girls trip.
The ride to our second stop, Ventimiglia, was only 45 minutes. Also, this is where we got to see Monaco (which may be the only time I see it in my life time).
Once we arrived in Ventimiglia, we had time to grab a bite to eat and sit down. Still, no Diet Coke (so I had Coke). This was the first place where no elevator proved to be a challenge. We had to climb three flights of stairs with 70 pound bags to get to our platform. This is where Rachel came in handy (and all of her strength training). She carried the heavy bags up the stairs and I carried the carry ons (I thought it was a fair trade off).
This train transfer was also the only one where the police stopped us to check our passports before heading to our train car. Rachel was convinced it was because we were in first class. Me, on the other hand, thought it was just the Italian police trying to rattle 2 American woman (and because I do not speak Italian I was not exactly sure what the four policemen were saying to each other as they were looking over our passports, but one could only imagine).
Our next stop was Milan, Italy. Again, the scenery was lovely. My seat mate, not so much. The gentleman sitting across from me I do not think loved the two American woman sitting by him. However he did defend Rachel when someone boarded the train and tried to kick her out of her seat. He knew that the passenger was not in the right place (thank good, but neither the passenger or the seat mate spoke English).
Our train in Milan arrived late. We already had a tight connection time (19 minutes). That was reduced to 7 minutes. And, we had to run 9 platforms over. Let's just say that was the only time on the trip where I thought I wouldn't make the train (Rachel was going to make it no problem). Well, we made it. And we settled into our seats, opened the bottle of wine we purchased in Marseille, opened up our snacks (at least we had some this time), and settled in for the next few hours.
Now let me say this about the trains. The train is an efficient way to get around and to be able to see so many things (loved it). However, not all train operators are equal. And just like the US airlines, each offer something a little different.
First, we loved the Spanish train. Why? The seats were big and wide, they had a foot rest, power plugs (plus USB),WiFi, and were incredibly clean. While we got delayed on that line by 3+ hours, it was still an enjoyable experience. Oh, and all PA notifications were made in Spanish, French, and English (super helpful for us). Next up, the French train.
We liked the first French train we were on. We had really nice seats, lighting, power, WiFi, and roomy storage for our carry-ons. However, the train car was not as clean or quiet. Our second French train, where we sat in "coach", was not comfortable at all. It lacked storage, WiFi, and power plugs. It also lacked storage for any of our luggage. And finally, the Italian trains.
The first Italian train lacked power and WiFi. Three and a half hours was challenge with no power or WiFi (we were using too much data and too much power by that point). The seat was comfortable, but there was no storage for our large bags, so we had to takeover a 4-seat bank to store our luggage. Good thing we were traveling in the offseason. The second train had WiFi, but no power plugs, plenty of storage for all of our luggage, and they served free water and snacks (a first for any of the trains we were on). And as a bonus, an alcohol wipe for your seat.
So if we were ranking these trains it would be Spanish first, French second, Italy third. The one thing I didn't mention was the bathrooms. Only one bathroom was nice (clean and smelled not like a bathroom) and that was the first French train. And if my greatest fear is flying over water, my second greatest fear is public restrooms. I hat to get over a lot on this trip!
We finally arrived in Florence, Italy. We went to the Taxi line and our driver said, your hotel is a two minute walk from here. We said, we appreciate it, but we'd rather you drive us there (which he was very happy to do). Not to mention the rain, we did not want to haul our luggage down the streets of Florence.
No comments:
Post a Comment